RE: log analysis

Inline.

Yes. It's called Snort. =)

> How difficult is it to perform Intrusion Detection using
> iptables, any real world stories(good and bad) desired.

Next to impossible unless you start writing your own string-based
signatures and get the string match or l7 support I keep hearing about.

> Thanks
> Gene D.

I don't log with netfilter. I use Snort and BASE for NIDS. There are
many viable options for NIDS and HIDS (like Tripwire). In my opinion the
only purpose of the LOG/ULOG targets are testing rules on live
firewalls. The default netfilter logs don't include the packet payload
anyway, which can tell you whether the M$ command banner Snort flagged
is real or just Bugtraq.

Derick Anderson