POSTROUTING icmp messages

NF,

Setting up iptables with PREROUTING to change the destination and forward the
packet and POSTROUTING to change the source address.
        PREROUTING works fine.
POSTROUTING changes the source address and I get the udp packets correctly but then I get an ICMP destination unreachable error message. The packet is reaching the destination and the source address is changed correctly. If I take out the POSTROUTING call the ICMP messages disappear but the
messages don't have the modified source address because POSTROUTING has been
turned off.
Tried many variations on the format and added FORWARDing entries but nothing seems to stop the generation of ICMP packets when POSTROUTING is implemented.
        Using linux 2.4-20.
        "ip_forward" is set to 1.
Jerry