Allowing ping

hi list,

I have a very simple question, presently we are blocking icmp "ping" on our servers. But as far I can userderstand its not very good practice or providing a good security by blocking ping request. see one can ping www.xyz.com and get the reply back.

However Before allowing ping "echo-request" I just want to confirm whether doing ...

iptables -A INPUT -p icmp --icmp-type echo-request -j ACCEPT

would be enough or doing some rate limiting would be better?

Any help in this regard  will greatly appreciated.

regards

Askar Ali