IP Forwarding

Dear NF:

I cannot get IPTABLES FORWARDing to work when the machines are directly
connected via a twisted cable.
Does FORWARDing only work with a router between the machines in question? If not, how can I get it to work? I see the packets coming into the box(ethereal)
but none going out.
Can someone give me a quick overview of how, at the kernel code level, how FORWARDing works and how to modify it to get two machines who are directly
connected to work.

Jerry