Re: how to let recursive nameserver through

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 iptables-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I have a 3-leg router/firewall and would like to run a recursive caching
nameserver (djb's dnscache) on it, but can't figure out how to get it
past the firewall to query upstream nameservers.

It needs to be allowed to universially query port 53 on UDP and TCP (OUTPUT), and responses also needs to be let back (INPUT -m state --state ESABLISHED is usually sufficient for the latter).

I can't even figure out where to try to put a rule for this, or how to
write it.  Since it's an address ON the router it wouldn't be on the
FORWARD chain, right?

I'm totally baffled.  Anybody have any ideas where to begin debugging this?

Make sure you always log dropped packets, with a log tag telling you which rule caused the packet to be dropped/rejected.

tcpdump is also your friend.

Regards
Henrik