Re: IP Vs DNS (nfcan: addressed to exclusive sender for this address)

On 2005.10.11 17:04, Barry Fawthrop - barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Greetings all

with an IPTABLES ruleset you can specify an IP address to be allowed/blocked
iptables INPUT -s 12.12.12.12 -j ALLOW

But can this be done with a DNS name
iptables INPUT -s www.name.com -j ALLOW

IPTABLES accepts DNS names, but the DNS lookup is performed
when the rule is placed in the kernel,
not when the rule is evaluated against a packet.
The kernel (netfilter) rules use ip address only.

To achieve what you want, I think you would have to
update the rule whenever the DNS mapping changed.

since 12.12.12.12 may be www.name.com but it can also be
12.12.15.12 or 12.15.12.19
eg www.nasa.gov this address does vary depending on location and sometimes time of day from a single point I can ping www.nasa.gov and get different IP addresses for it.

Yet I would like to allow access but preferably not to a whole range.
Also by allowing a DNS name then if a single IP addresses hosts many sites, I can be specific about the site?

Thanks in advance