RE: Possible Bug? /proc/net/ip_tables_targets listing problem?

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005, Rob M wrote:

The problem here is that I've only built v1.3.2 on this box.  I've found
there is a similar problem in the listing for `/proc/net/ip_tables_matches'.
There I find a double listing for `multiport'.  I don't think this is a
feature mislisting since it is a clean build and I've done no patching (well
the patches leading up to yes but not) beyond v1.3.2.  It's as clean of a
build as I think you can get with out totally unmerging the package and
remerging v1.3.3, but I digress.

It is a misfeature of current Linux kernels.

If the problem were the comparison of built modules to features that I had
built into the kernel, there _should_ be more duplicates then 1 match and 1
target in their respected lists.

It depends on the target/matches loaded. Some have multiple versions to support old iptables binaries and gets listed multiple times.

As far as I can tell, it does not affect
functionality.

Correct, and is why it is a misfeature not a bug.

But then again, I assume that when it checks to see if a match or target is loaded, it compared the requested match/target against the required list, and in turn could cause problems for checking available match/targets. This is an assumption that I'm making, whether it's true or false. If this isn't affect anything and it's simply an aesthetic issue, then I'm going to get back to work and just code what I'm working on to expect the possibilities for duplicates in these lists.

You could also submit a patch to the kernel to only list these targets/matches once.

Regards
Henrik