Re: How would this help my LAN / network

Brent Clark wrote:
> HI all
>
> I just came across one of the threads on the LARTC.
> In the thread it had this.
>
> So my question is, for the following rules, would these increase my
> browsing / traffic, and if so, how.

Small packets and control pachets should have priority because they
carry intrractive traffic.
> iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST,ACK
> ACK -m length --length 0:128 -j TOS --set-tos Minimize-Delay
Large packets are for upload or download. They can wait until people
open their html pages. Some p2p applications are ill-behaved and they
send large control packets for carrying payloads.
> iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST,ACK
> ACK -m length --length 128: -j TOS --set-tos Maximize-Throughput
Port 20 = ftp-data is the data channel in ftp transactions. We have file
transfer in that channel.
> iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --sport 20 -j TOS
> --set-tos Maximize-Throughput
Port 21 - ftp is the ftp control channel. when you stop a transfer or
acknoledge something you need the program to respond at your action very
quick.
> iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --sport 21 -j TOS
> --set-tos Minimize-Delay
Port 22 - ssh: when you remotely manage a computer, and if you press a
key on your keyboard, the letter must appear almost when you press the key.
> iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --sport 22 -j TOS
> --set-tos Minimize-Delay
Port 53 - domain: when someone is browsing the Internet and waits for a
page to load, the Internet must translate quick the site address in the
IP address, so the user waits less for the page to start to load.
> iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p udp -m udp --sport 53 -j TOS
> --set-tos Maximize-Throughput
Port 80 - http: this is from where the pages come and the requests for
them go. The system must respond quickly (we have fast computers these
days, don't we?)
> iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --sport 80 -j TOS
> --set-tos Maximize-Throughput
( I don't know this port and i am too lazy to open /etc/services)
> iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p udp -m udp --sport 123 -j TOS
> --set-tos Minimize-Delay
Where are https, irc, messengers... ?