Re: Aren't these connections ESTABILISHED? (2nd take)

On Saturday 2005-October-01 14:12, Gioele Barabucci wrote:
> I spend the last weeks doing experiments with iptables but still I
> have problems with connections that should be ESTABILISHED but are

You have it spelled correctly in the script, but perhaps you should
check again. ESTABLISHED != ESTABILISHED. I am not sure if iptables
would complain about that or not, but it's always safest to spell
things correctly. :)

> not.
>
> Postfix does some DNS lookups on the DNS server (69.93.28.254). After

FWIW: my Postfices do tons of DNS lookups, so much so, that I would
never run without a caching nameserver on the same machine.

> a bit, iptables forget that the connection is ESTABILISHED and DROPs
> the reply.

When that happens you might want to check the conntrack table. Perhaps
even script something to run from -j ULOG when a packet is dropped.

Is anything not working? I have a feeling these are just occasional
strays that ip_conntrack isn't catching for some reason.

> My logs are full of dropped packets like these
> 05:32:33  69.93.28.254 53  myIP 2755  UDP

You *are* getting these from netfilter logs, correct? You have just
removed all the superfluous information for readability?

> Here is my ruleset (BTW, I did not test much the "limit SMTP trafic",
> do you think that it is correct?)
snip
> echo "Limit smtp traffic"
> iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport smtp -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -m
> recent --set
> iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport smtp -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -m
> recent --update --seconds 30 --hitcount 4 -j DROP

I have not yet used -m recent. Without RTFM it looks like you are
wanting to limit to limit any IP to 4 new connections per 30 second
period. If the problem is dictionary attacks be advised that this might
not help at all. The attacker could be attempting as many as
smtpd_recipient_limit (default 1000) usernames in a single session.

Also, I'm not sure it would do anything at all, because there cannot be
that many --state NEW connections in such a short time. Conntrack would
call those "RELATED". I think you should try --syn, not --state NEW.
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header