RE: iptables spof address problem

-a --spoof hostname
    Use this option in order to set a fake IP source address, this option ensures that target will not gain your real address. However replies will be sent to spoofed address, so you will can't see them. In order to see how it's possible to perform spoofed/idle scanning see the HPING2-HOWTO.

I reiterate: a properly spoofed packet is completely identical to a genuine one. It is not Netfilter's or the kernel stack's fault, it is a simple fact of life that bits are bits. With an intelligent switch this kind of attack can be stopped provided the switch is set to use a 1-to-1 ratio of ports to MACs and to drop invalid packets. However, it is not possible prevent this attack when nothing separates the two boxes but twisted pair.

Derick Anderson