Re: iptables stop/start vs restart ...

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 10:50 +0100, Chicken of the Apocalypse wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Simple problem, although I'm sure it's been raised before and I need to search harder!
>
> I've got a basic setup/configuration of iptables-1.2.11-3.1 running on 2.6.10-1.766_FC3smp with one change in the /etc/sysconfig/iptables-config file. I increase the hashsize using:
> /sbin/modprobe ip_conntrack hashsize=32767.
>
> If I run service iptables stop/start and then cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_buckets the value is 32767. If I run service iptables restart the value in the file goes back to default. I've noticed the same in a power failure scenario where the machine lost power and on reboot didn't change the hashsize.
> I've had a quick look through /etc/init.d/tideway and as far as I can tell a restart just runs a stop and start. I'm assuming some sort of save/restore flag is or isn't set and this is causing the problem during a restart or power cut.
>
> I need to ensure that the correct hashsize is always set. Any have any ideas?
>
> Thanks
Can you use the options parameter in modprobe.conf rather than
specifying the option on the command line? - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation

If you would like to participate in the development of an open source
enterprise class network security management system, please visit
http://iscs.sourceforge.net