Re: Firewall script

On Tue, September 27, 2005 15:55, Edmundo Carmona wrote:
> On 9/27/05, Rob Sterenborg <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> $IPTABLES -A FORWARD -i $LAN_IFACE -m state --state NEW \
>>   -p tcp --dport 25 -j LOG --log-prefix "SMTP_REJECT: "
>> $IPTABLES -A FORWARD -i $LAN_IFACE -m state --state NEW \
>>   -p tcp --dport 25 -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
>
> I have had this question in my mind for some time by now, but never
> had the need to answer it.. however, this post brings it on.
>
> As you can see, first, you have a LOG, and then in the same chain for
> the same traffic, you REJECT. What other targets allow traversal to
> go on in the same chain?

Not all targets are valid in all chains, but I guess that those would
be most targets that alter a packet, not being NAT or MASQ, and of
course rules without a target.
If a rule doesn't make a decision wether to ACCEPT, REJECT, DROP, NAT
or MASQ a packet, a packet continues to traverse. (I hope I summed it
all now.. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

For valid targets, check man iptables.

Gr,
Rob