Re: Firewall script

On Tue, September 27, 2005 15:55, Edmundo Carmona wrote:
> On 9/27/05, Rob Sterenborg <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> $IPTABLES -A FORWARD -i $LAN_IFACE -m state --state NEW \
>>   -p tcp --dport 25 -j LOG --log-prefix "SMTP_REJECT: "
>> $IPTABLES -A FORWARD -i $LAN_IFACE -m state --state NEW \
>>   -p tcp --dport 25 -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
>>

> I have had this question in my mind for some time by now, but never
> had the need to answer it.. however, this post brings it on.
>
> As you can see, first, you have a LOG, and then in the same chain for
> the same traffic, you REJECT. What other targets allow traversal to
> go on in the same chain?

Not all targets are valid in every chain, but I suppose that would be
(almost ?) all targets that alter packets in some way (not NAT/MASQ)
and do not decide wether to ACCEPT, REJECT or DROP a packet.
Of course, if you don't specify a target (use a rule as byte-counter
or something) a packet passes through to the next rule.

For targets, see also man iptables.
(http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/other/iptables.html)

Gr,
Rob