Re: DMZ howto

P theodorou wrote:
I had a look on the NAT Howto , unfortunately explains the concept in brief
therefore im thinking some things to be done
1) the Apache will be hosted on 192.168.1.2 (eth2)
and my dynamic ip is something 22.22.22.22  (eth0)

somehow i declare
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --d 22.22.22.22 --dport 8080 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.2

-the above line my not beeing correct- so i redirect whatever touches 22.22.22.22 to the
internal 192.168.1.2 threfore conclusion 2 i need a static ip
or a should never reboot the computer ! right ?

Not necessarily. There are some options.

1.) Instead of DNATing everything that is destined for
    22.22.22.22 to the other box - which (if i understand
    correctly) means every port -, you could DNAT everything
    that is destined to port 8080 to the other box. This means
    omitting -d 22.22.22.22. And at the very minimum, you
    must SNAT everything that leaves the box towards the internet.
    You can add the incoming interface, like -i ppp0.
2.) Register with DynDNS or the like. Then write your rule like this:
    ... -p tcp --dport 8080 -d dyndns.name.tld ...
    Do an iptables-save and every time your IP changes do
    an iptables-restore. You may like to write a script.
3.) Other things that may come to mind :)

HTH,

Joerg

Please clarify

ps i phoned up my ISP they ask 5 pounds per month for static ip