Re: DMZ howto

Hello,

A DMZ / SSN (Separate secure network) is where you would put servers that require access from internally and externally.

So example you setup a firewall with 3 interfaces:

External
DMZ
Internal

Now on the DMZ you may place your company mail server for example. All mail from the Internet would come in and be forwarded to the server in the DMZ. This way if the mail server is compromised the intruder will have not gained access to your internal corporate network. A company web server would be another example, but not a intra net web server.

The firewall rules between EXT <=> DMZ should be as secure as possible, same with DMZ<=>INT.

I hope this helps clear some things up a little.

Michael

P theodorou wrote:

Hello

I want to achieve the firewall script in the official iptables tutorial
1.20 version practices here http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux....MZ.firewall.txt

typically a well known set up is
to receive traffic from the ISP via dhcp which assigns IP to eth0
and eth0 forwords traffic to eth1 (NAT) which is the default gateway for a laptop .

Now the machine has eth0 eth1 and eth2 so far we have spoken
for eth1 . Eth2 i wanted to be a DMZ for servers who need passive connections
FTP etc...

The concept of DMZ confuses me , can you suggest any resources
for the topic ?

Really appreciated