Re: rules for dhcp server

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 07:36, Askar wrote:
> I'm configuring a firewall on dhcp server, i'm a bit confuse which
> port to allow on INPUT that users (clients) get IP from the server
>
> from /etc/sevices...
>
> bootps 67/tcp dhcps #Bootstrap Protocol Server
> bootps 67/udp dhcps #Bootstrap Protocol Server
> bootpc 68/tcp dhcpc #Bootstrap Protocol Client
> bootpc 68/udp dhcpc #Bootstrap Protocol Client

The server binds 67/udp, client binds 68/udp. TCP is not used.

> dhcpv6-client 546/tcp #DHCPv6 Client
> dhcpv6-client 546/udp #DHCPv6 Client
> dhcpv6-server 547/tcp #DHCPv6 Server
> dhcpv6-server 547/udp #DHCPv6 Server

I don't know about this but I bet it's also UDP-only. If you're not
using IPv6 addressing then you do not care.

> lot of other services do runnig on this machine, however i'm very
> clear about all other services, ie which port to allow etc

On the server machine you must allow connections to your 67/udp from
68/udp. Some of these (renewals) will come addressed to the IP of your
dhcpd; others (broadcasts) will come to 255.255.255.255. The origin
IP's for such broadcasts are 0.0.0.0.

DHCP service is generally a good thing to keep behind a firewall, IMO.
Mine at home is running on a server which gets pass-through DNAT from
the external router, so I had to be tricky about this. If the source
address is not in my LAN segment I handle it as an external packet, but
that was a problem for DHCP. I simply accept all from 255.255.255.255
(those won't pass through the external router anyway), but if you want
to tighten it up you could try this:

iptables -A INPUT -s 0.0.0.0 -d 255.255.255.255 \
    -p udp --sport 68 --dport 67 -j ACCEPT

> All the client machines are running MS. Therefore any other good
> suggestion will be appreciated to machine the network efficient.

Get rid of all the MS machines. :)

Only bind your DHCP service to the interface[s] where you intend to
offer DHCP.
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header