Re: NAT tables and FILTER tables

> Hi,
>
> I have a small query.
>
> I have read that whenever a packet requesting a connection is
> encountered, NAT table is used. My question is : Does it mean that for
> new connection request packets ONLY NAT table is considered and not
> default FILTER table?

Looking at http://www.faqs.org/docs/iptables/traversingoftables.html a
packet uses all tables, but not all chains.

What chain a packet traverses depends on the routing decision (i.e. if a
packet is for the local host or not), and/or if you DROP or REJECT a
packet (in the mangle or nat table) before it can enter the filter table.
Let's say you SNAT or DNAT a packet ; that packet is altered but will
continue to traverse the tables (filter/FORWARD).

Gr,
Rob