RE: documentation netfilter

hello,
 Within the framework of my project of end of study, I must choose best the firewall open source and then I must develop new functionalities so that it is same level as check point or another owner firewall (for example cisco Centri Firewall...).

can you help me in this subject? which is the best  firewall open source (if there is one of the bonds towards site, a study)...?
thank you in advance