Re: Fwd: Route packets from an interface to another

Hi,

> What is it you want to achieve?

eth0 -> 192.168.2.0/24
eth1 -> 192.168.3.0/34

I want to achieve two seperate networks.

I want traffic from eth1 to go via eth0
which will link the two LANS and provide
Internet access.

> I don't see any firewall configuration at all....
> your route is wide open... so to speak.

Yes, I have not added any firewalling yet.
This is for my 3 machines at home.

After I am happy with my routing I intend to add
Firewalling rules, VPN and learn about bandwith shaping.

> In case you want to enable forwarding from the lan boxes to internet,
> just enable forward, masquerade output and that's it.

It would be this simple if there was just one LAN.

> Creating two separate routing tables is not a must.

The issue here is how to route packets from one NIC to another.
Deciding on which networks to use and why is another question.

> Once the network interfaces
> come up, they set the route.... just make sure the default gateway is
> set as well.

Won't the default route for eth0 be 192.168.2.6 and won't the default
route for eth1 be 192.168.3.6 ?

I fail to see how "Once the network interfaces come up,
they set the route" will make packets from eth1 will
auto-magiclly go out eth0 as eth1 default route is not eth0 by default.

Regards,
Rudi.