QUEUE function called twice?

On RH-E-WS-4, in the Input chain, I send icmp type 8
to -j QUEUE, where my function DROPs the first three,
and ACCEPTs all thereafter.  The debug print in the
function shows that when I accept, my queue function
is called a second time (a total of two times for
each ping).  Is this to be expected?  If so, this
will be a problem for the ultimate intended use,
which is a complex, stateful filter for some nasty
stuff on port 80.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Mike.
--