Re: Help NAT - ISP: news

----- Original Message ----- From: "Amin Azez" <azez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.security.firewalls.netfilter.devel
To: "Giacomo" <delleceste@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 5:31 PM
Subject: Re: Help NAT - ISP: news

Have you tested the new ISP connection without your ip4 filter loaded?
Yes it works fine without my module, resolv.conf is correct.
In fact i was wondering what was wrong with my kernel module, and how
iptables solves a problem like that.

Thanks a lot

Giacomo.

I'm wondering if you need to update your /etc/resolv.conf file, default
route, or other such things that maybe associated with a change of ISP.

Any problem in the area you are looking at is likely to cause problems
for a lot of customers so it seems unlikely to be a problem of the ISP

Sam

Giacomo wrote:
Good Morning, i'm Giacomo S. the one who
posted some days ago a message titled:
"help about NAT and ISP - developing a kernel module"

If anyone can help, in addition to the questions in original post, i
discovered that

probably the problem is not related to fragmentation in network packets.

I setup the iptable rule

iptables -A FORWARD -f -j LOG --log-prefix="FWD_FRAGMENTED"

and no packet seems to arrive fragmented.

Don't know if this information is useful, but thank in advance anyone
who could

point out a reason for what's happening to me.

Could it be related to packets arriving in disorder?

Should i mangle something else in gateway traversing packets in addition
to ip, ports and checksum?

I underline that i do not change any other field, nor payload.

Thanks for help. I add below original message sent some days ago.

Giacomo.

-----
ORIGINAL MESSAGE WITH PROBLEM EXPLAINED:

Good morning, I'm Giacomo Strangolino from Italy.

I finished developing an ipv4 packet filter with NAT/MASQUERADING and have
been
testing it
for some time with success connecting from home to my ISP named "libero".

Then i changed ISP to another one, called "telecom" and with great surprise
i discovered that
images from sites and also sites failed to load.

So now, when i call an ISP all works fine, when i call the other, things go
wrong.

I NAT machines behind my firewall changing only ips and ports, and
recalculating checksum (ip and tcp/udp)
to adjust such changes.
I do not touch any other field as window size or seq number or ack, since
the only things i manipulate are
addresses and ports.

I was wondering what i could do to solve, since iptables and ipfw+natd on
freeBSD or winXP sp2 work fine
with this ISP...

Tweaking with ethereal i found that probably sometimes a tcp segment gets
lost.

My firewall is a 2.6.12 kernel module which registers with netfilter hooks.
A userspace program sends rules to
kernel via netlink.

I thank you if you could help me find the way to fix the problem or
understand what could be wrong with an
ISP network and anyway work fine with the other.

Also any indication of where in iptables source is solved such problem
would be appreciated.

I have been consulting news for many days and until now i tried to resolve
the issue
without success in the following ways:

- reducing MTU on both gateway and internal hosts.
- trying with the option --clamp-tcpmss-to-pmtu.

Both failed and problem persisted.

Thanks a lot in advance.