RE: Request: Submission of Rulesets

Out of curiosity (and the lack of fully understanding your intent), how
would this DTD validate a ruleset? I imagine you'd be trying to go
beyond syntax since netfilter will tell you when you do something silly
like a --dport without a -p tcp|udp anyway. If that's so, what is your
standard for failure of a ruleset? Or success of a ruleset? I can submit
a working ruleset that isn't optimal (accepting RELATED,ESTABLISHED
connections as the last rule, for example) or that checks src/dst IPs
but not which interface...

Admittedly I don't know that much about XML and DTDs. I don't know how
powerful DTDs can be, but it seems to me like you'd need a high-level
programming language in order to test for more than syntactical
correctness. A simulation environment for Netfilter rules is something
I'd really like to see.

Derick Anderson