RE: Blocking Google Earth

Other solutions might include:

* Request the user not to use the application.
* Install a HTTP proxy server that catches all port 80 traffic. Squid might be a good candidate. Here you can easily make a policy to deny access to the kh.google.com servers (it was I believe).

An advantage of a proxy is increased response times for your users (and also a little decrease in bandwidth requirements). My experience with 3 users behind it was that response times decreased and bandwidth requirements did not change (noticably). With 600+ users that situation will change significantly.
Some proxies can also limit the priority of some traffic, e.g. for kh.google.com. Unfortunally google.com doesn't allow caching of google earth traffic (sigh), I forced it on my proxy. Yeah, I know, it increases the administrative workload...

Of course, I guess you use a decent machine for routing for 600+ users.

- Joris Dobbelsteen