Re: Netfilter and IPSec interaction

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 10:23:58PM -0500, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

> Apperently, this is a known problem and it has been discussed on
> Netfilter's development lists.  There are some patches that solve it,
> but they are not going to get into mainstream kernel since approach

I can now confirm that the current PoM 2.6sec/NAT patches do compile into
a 2.6.12 kernel (for me FC3 2.6.12-1.1372) with a few modifications to
dependencies, etc.  I will be heavily testing this new kernel very
shortly.

> taken in them is problematic (and according to some sources, those
> patches are abandoned and not maintained anymore).  I wasn't able to
> find why the approach is problematic, but apperently answer to that

>From my understanding, the patches are too broad and affect too many
source files.  It's not "clean" and prone to maintenance errors.  The way
it's coded/architected needs to be rethought and will probably require a
rethink/rewrite of much more than just the bits the patch touches.

> question is burried somewhere in archives of Netfilter's development
> list.  Seems that correct approach to solve the problem still needs to
> be found (and once found and implemented will become part of mainstream
> kernel).

Yes, it would be nice to see that some effort is going into this problem.