Re: ppooe state RELATED,ESTABLISHED issue

Just a stab in the dark.

I don't know if this is the issue or not but something that comes to mind is what did you set your INPUT / FORWARD / OUTPUT chains default policy to? If you set it to DENY then you will have to explicitly allow traffic that is coming in and out the respective interfaces to set up the PPPoE connection / tunnel. I don't know enough about this (PPPoE) to help.

Ted Kaczmarek wrote:

Today I was testing a Centos 4.1(RH ES4 clone) with  2.6.9-11.EL and a
Verizon dsl connection. I couldn't get any connection tracking related
rules working on the pppoe interface.

-A INPUT -i ppp0 -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -i ppp0 -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

The only way I could get it to forward traffic was to allow all INPUT and FORWARD traffic for ppp0.

The pppoe is using eth0 and the inside interface is eth1.

Googling uncovered a thread with respect to connection tracking being
broken with bridging.

http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0506.2/0422.html

Is this really the same issue? If packets are coming in eth1 and leaving
ppp0(using eth0)
are they not just being routed? If eth0 is up the I can see packets
being bridged from ppp0e to eth0, but with eth0 down I am at a loss as
to why this is happening.

Also is this issue specific to 2.6? A 2.4 based machine would likely
suffice in this application.

Regards,
Ted