RE: Help needed for a box with 4 Ethernet Interfaces

If the drawing is messed up I apologize - Outlook doesn't seem to like
plain-text stuff.

-----Original Message-----
From: netfilter-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:netfilter-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Derick
Anderson
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 1:01 PM
To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Help needed for a box with 4 Ethernet Interfaces

Wow. First, let's give some names to each box so we both know which one
I'm referring to. The box (box "B" in your diagram) with 4 interfaces is
your router. Boxes A, C, and D will be called as "internal boxes" as a
group.

You must realize that you can't set up interfaces on your router with
the same IP address. If you want Box A to connect to Box B, /through/
the router (rather than say, through a hub), then you must either
separate the subnets or bridge the two interfaces.

Secondly, each of your internal boxes must use the same subnet as the
interface they connect to. For example, according to your diagram, Box C
has an address of 192.168.0.2, and is attempting to connect to
21.21.21.9. Unless your netmask (usually 255.255.255.0) is 0.0.0.0, Box
C will not be connecting to your router by design.

Third, a loopback interface is not a physical interface, it is a virtual
one and is set to 127.0.0.1 (as I recall the entire 127.0.0.0/8 network
is reserved for it). Your box cannot function as a "loopback interface."

Now as to your goals - can I ask what exactly you are trying to do? In
order to separate each of these boxes, I'll redo your diagram for you:

------------

-----------------------------|  Box D   |
                              172.16.6.10   |      192.168.0.1/24
|          |
         Mgmt Port<---------------------|   |
------------
                                        |   | 192.168.0.1
192.168.0.2
                                   Eth0 |   | Eth1 (for internal
network)
 ------------                        ------------
------------
|________________________|  Box C   |
 |          |                    Eth2|          | Eth3
|          |
 ------------     10.1.1.0/24        ------------       21.21.21.0/24
------------
  10.1.1.1                       10.1.1.1     21.21.21.1
21.21.21.2

This will allow your boxes (given the correct routing tables on your
router) to actually communicate with the router. You can then use
iptables to decide which packets can go where. For (a partial) example:

$IPT -P FORWARD DROP
$IPT -A FORWARD -i eth2 -o eth3 -j ACCEPT $IPT -A FORWARD -i eth3 -o
eth2 -j ACCEPT $IPT -A FORWARD -i eth0 -j ACCEPT $IPT -A FORWARD -o eth0
-j ACCEPT

So what you are doing here is accepting packets that are coming [i]nto
eth2 and going [o]ut eth3, into eth3 and out eth2, and anything destined
to go in or out eth0 (determined by your routing tables) will be
allowed.

You could (and should) use iptables to ensure that the appropriate IPs
are going out the appropriate interfaces, in addition to the proper
ports, but there's a bunch of neat guides on www.netfilter.org you
should look at before doing too much on your own. You should also
consider learning a lot more about networking.

Hope that helps, and if I missed anything here someone will point it out
(that's my money-back guarantee).

Derick Anderson