Re: prerouting logging

On 7/27/05, Brent Clark <bclark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I got tips for nmap blocking from someone on this list.

I think I'm that someone.  This looks like my post in the "Defeating
NMAP Null scans (and Nessus scans)" thread.

> Im trying to log the problems that logged.
> Would anyone care to recheck my rulset, just to make to I got this right.

You might consider more informative prefixes than just "PREROUTING: ".
 It's fine if some automated parser is going through and will
determine scan type by the options logged, but a human reading the log
might be helped by an indicator like "PREROUTING NULLscan: " or
something of the sort.

> P.s. If anyone knows of any other rules I can add, it would be
> greatfully be appreciated.

My original post did include a NULL scan rule, but not the ACK scan
that Jörg mentioned.