Kind of Limits

Hello ,
 i have no experience with iptables at all ... i just want to get my problem
solved , i hope you can help me
 How can i limit the number of connection or not limiting , let's say
 when the number of connections reach the ALLOWED numbers of connections it
will get block for about 2 minutes or something
 NOTE : i want it to work for all destination ports
 please reply me with something helpful with out the need of re-compiling
the Kernel or installing a patches
  Thanks in advance