Re: Questions regarding routing in the stack

The diagram is helpfull, thank you. I'll give it a thorough look...

> > Of course, that needs to happen for both locally generated traffic and
> > incoming traffic, so that I link the incoming packets to the right
> > applications.
>
> Why does this sound like NAT, where you take data from one interface and
> spit it out on another (receive is done the same way)?

It is a kind of NATing, just changing the IP/interface. The thing is
the rules are not static, they can change at a high rate. Definitely
not confident changing the rules with a script rewritting/reloading
the ruleset will not break it at some point. I am currently thinking
of writting a netfilter module of some sort that will handle this out.