Re: is this the zillionth mail asking for this detail?

Edmundo Carmona wrote:
I don't think I'm that smart to be the first to need this feature...
so I hope I'm the ONE vote that flips the balance to convince
netfilter developers that this is indeed <i>good and necessary</i>.

I am not sure we have developers posting here regularly. I've seen Harald Welte, but not often. I just looked and see that Jozsef Kadlecsik, who does post here, is on the Core Team.

Maybe a new chain could be used to do some PREROUTING actions (like
marking) before the routing decision is made for output traffic.

Is there any reason you can't use mangle/PREROUTING or nat/PREROUTING for what you need? What would filter/PREROUTING provide that those do not? In fact, although I don't do anything with mangle, I thought marking was in mangle territory.

> What do you think?

Perhaps you should try to make your case on the developers' list.
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header