Re: RST packets

> |Sometimes, if either hosts need to tear down the connection quickly
> (timeout,
> |port or host unreachable, etc.), a RST (Reset) packet is sent. Note that
> |since a RST packet is not necessarily always part of a TCP connection, it
> can be
> |sent by itself. RST packets that are part of a TCP connection is usually
> |accompanied by the ACK flag as well.
>
> What would be the use of RST if it is not part of a connection?
> Is it...vv?
>   A and B are connected
>   A crashes
>   B tries to send
>   A sends RST,!ACK

Your scenario seems clear to me.. ;-)

If A crashes, to A there is no connection anymore.
If B sends data to A and A thinks no SYN/ACK has occurred for that
connection, IMHO A should send RST without ACK because according to A
there _is_ no connection to send ACK for.
Anyway, I didn't test it but it would make sense to me.

Gr,
Rob