one interface, basic setup

Hi,

I'm just getting started with iptables and after reading the HOWTO's (basic and packet filtering) I still feel unsure. I want to build a FW for outgoing packets only. My setup looks like this:

internet <---->Netgear FVS318 <----> LAN

Where LAN is a Linux FC3 and several Windows machines. The router closes all outbound traffic except from the FC3 box. Currently, Windows machines DHCP from the router, so that is the gateway, and proxy out through squid et. al. on FC3. I'll move the DHCP service to FC3 and make that the gateway. I want the FC3 gateway to allow all outbound traffic from squid; destination ports might be more than HTTP. I also want to allow outbound SMTP and POP to a specific destination only. FC3 is also providing services http, telnet, ftp, ssh, smtp, imap/imaps and pop/pop-ssl. Eventually, I'll want to do a transparent proxy as well.

So it looks like I want both the INPUT and OUTPUT chains to ACCEPT all and I should build rules in the FORWARD chain. With only one interface, is that correct?

Thanks,

Bill