Re: DNATing Windows File Sharing

>quoting a services file like it's an RFC is not a great way to write
>firewall rules.  just because a port has been reserved for a service,
>doesn't mean it's actually used.  the obvious example here would be

So it looks like Win98 does not use 135.
If you are not happy with the results, use -m layer7 and go from there.
_That's_ safe, across udp, tcp and the whole port range. :)

>that being said, i've also noticed that NAT-ing a windows file server
>doesn't always work--depending on your network topology.

No, I think because it uses broadcasts which ... are normally not propagated
across networks unless you utilize userspace proxies. I have recently turned a
friend's network(s) into a bridged one to overcome this problem. (Or to evade,
depending on the viewpoint.)