Re: Ip_conntrack_ftp with PASSIVE FTP does not work

>> iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --sport 21 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,NEW -j
>> ACCEPT
>> iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 21 -m state --state
>> NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

If using passive ftp, the host you are connecting to does not necessarily send
from port 21.

>Hmm, many people, including myself, think, that filtering in OUTPUT is
>pointless. More troublesome than usefull. If you decide to set OUTPUT
>policy to ACCEPT, you don't need the first two rules. Up to you.

Not at all. Because certains things can not happen in certain environments,
e.g. I read/write mail by logging into a mail server via SSH / no sendmail
running, I can exclude certain things. In netfilter parlance:

 -P OUTPUT ACCEPT (same for FORWARD, btw)
 -A OUTPUT -j REJECT -p tcp --dport 25

This stops users that also have access to my machine to not spam smtp servers,
should they find an open one.

Jan Engelhardt