Re: Fragments and connection tracking

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 02:35:37PM -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> We are working to use an iptables based VPN for a client where teh
> certificates do not fit into a single packet. Thus we have a
> fragmentation problem.  We normally drop all fragments on the Internet
> interfaces in our rule sets.  We are a little hesitant to stop doing so.
>
> Does connection tracking make it safe to do so or does it make it more
> dangerous? I understand that connection tracking will reassemble the
> fragments.  If someone is trying to attack by sending lots of non-head
> fragments, will connection tracking drop those as invalid or will this
> produce a denial of service attack as connection tracking tries to match
> a flood of fragments without first fragments? Thanks - John

Connection tracking just uses the normal ip_defrag() code, so it would
behave exactly like the fragment cache of a linux end host.

And no, conntrack cannot make fragment-based attacks safe. IP
fragmentation on the open internet is a serious flaw and introduces many
security risks.

Please see my signature ;)

--
- Harald Welte <laforge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>                 http://netfilter.org/