RE: Problem w/ iptables on FC3

Thank-you for the helpful response!

I'm curious - for the sample configuration I gave in my original posting,
why would:

iptables -A OUTPUT -o eth0 -s 192.168.50.100 -p icmp --icmp-type
echo-request -j ACCEPT

fail to permit a packet originating from my system out?  I understand what
"iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT" does, and I am not arguing the logic behind
using that instead for my situation, but I'm wondering if packet filtering
operates differently for traffic originated by a firewall as opposed to
traversing a firewall.

I looked through the Packet Filtering HOWTO, as well as Ziegler's "Linux
Firewalls" book but could not find an answer.  Thanks!

--john