Re: /etc/sysconfig/iptables does not load on reboot

On Monday 04 July 2005 09:17, David Leangen wrote:
> Thanks for all the helpful hints!
>
> > Same kernel?
>
> goodhost=2.6.9-1.667smp
> badhost=2.6.9-1.667
>
> Not sure what the "smp" is.

Probably "symmetric multi-processor", a kernel enabled for multiple
CPU's. It could be that you have found a Fedora bug.

> I will try loading on badhost the version with the same kernel on
> goodhost and see if that fixes the problem.

If badhost only has one CPU it's wasteful to have SMP support, but as
implied above, it could be a kernel configuration bug relating to the
non-SMP kernel.

> Now that you've helped me to realise that I'm not using the same
> kernel, I'll try that first, and if the problem persits go on to all
> your other helpful suggestions. My only problem is that I won't have

I'm sticking to my guess. The rules which did not load (if I read it
correctly from the diff) all used --protocol extensions.

I know little of netfilter / iptables internals. I don't know where
those extensions load from ... [WHAM] ouch, I was just hit by an
inspiration.

Firewall loads before mount -a; probably at that point only the root
filesystem is mounted. If the match extensions are on /usr, we can't
get to them. I bet badhost has a separate /usr partition and goodhost
has /usr on the rootfs.

If so, yes, this is an OS bug. And don't just write set to a file, do
"mount > /root/firewall-mounted-fs" too. (I hope /root isn't a symlink
or otherwise on a different FS.)

> Mother's maiden name: Ima Galible

:)
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header