Re: NEW "SSH Brute Force " ruleset (20050628.0)

Hi everybody,

On Tuesday, June 28, 2005 9:10 AM,
Taylor, Grant wrote:

[...]
One point of interest would be the use of the "--rttl" option on the
recent matches.  I have not tested such tests but plan to do so in
the future.  Please reply to the mail list with your experiences.
As always any comments and / or suggestions are most welcome and
appreciated.

Definitely a very nice piece of work! Though I personally do not use the longer banning times, since just banning them for a minute has proven long enough to make them move to the next host, I do like the "stacked chains". My use for a second level is to log only the first DROP, so the DROPS won't flood my logs.

Speaking of flooding: Does anybody know how long IPs are stored in the recent list, until they are removed again?

The requested "any comments / suggestions" section:
Maybe also put a timelimit on the whitelist, since IPs added there will be most likely dynamic ones, otherwise they would probably have been added to another permanent whitelist. Possibly strange ideas: If a certain IP makes it to a certain level of blacklisting, drop everything --state NEW from them, not just ssh (dropping also established things might allow a too powerful and easy DOS) Add a host to a special whiltelist after doing something special, like connecting to a certain port, which would lower the risk of a DOS (they can still try, but you can override it) I haven't used the -rttl option either, but I did monitor the TTLs of dropped bruteforce attempts. Most different hosts also had different TTLs, but packets from a single attacker never had different ones, so adding that option should (at least at the moment) not result in significantly more successful connection attempts than without.

Marius