From: netfilter-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:netfilter-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Carl Holtje
;021;vcsg6;
Sent: Freitag, 24. Juni 2005 16:05
To: /dev/rob0
Cc: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Firewall feature recommendation

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, /dev/rob0 wrote:

> > > We don't do much of this. We *do* use DNS poisoning for certain
> > > known "ratware"/virus domains such as gator.com.
> >
> > Sorry to jump in half-way through, but how do you do this?
> >
> > I'm looking for a solution better than editing /etc/hosts that I can
> > apply to a small network..
>
> BIND 9, transparent DNS proxying for clients to force them into our
> local nameserver, where we have a simple null zone file which is loaded
> as master for each blocked domain. It points a wildcard "A" at an
> internal IP.

Would you be so kind as to post a randomly-selected zone file for our
enjoyment?

> Among other things, that internal machine runs a Web server. When we
> first started doing this, its apache logs were inundated with 404's as
> the now-stranded spyware attempted to phone home.

So you take a DNS (port 53) request and re-write it as HTTP (port 80)??

Wouldn't it just be easier to reply to the DNS request with a "host not
found"? Or where you trying to log the requests to find the infected
hosts..?

Thanks!

Carl

- --

"There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those that don't."