Re: Firewall feature recommendation

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 12:56 +0200, Kenneth Kalmer wrote:
> Guys
>
> I've built several iptables-based firewalls for some clients and
> personal use. Some of them are horrors, now that I look back on
> them... I want to build my own 'all-in-one' firewall for the most
> common network setups I use... I've used various other GPL'ed scripts
> for references in past firewalls and they do tend to open one's eyes a
> bit, thanks for everyone who released their scripts under the GPL.
>
> I understand iptables, so that's covered. I'm constantly researching
> security cause it's so damn interesting to see the precautions some
> people take, and the level of protection you yourself would never even
> have dreamed about...
>
> Now, these are the features (independent of implementation) that I've
> considered to put into my firewall:
> - Support for multiple interfaces on both LAN & WAN
> - NAT & DMZ
> - Black lists for inbound & outbound traffic
> - Host services (global or per interface, allows seperation between
> LAN & WAN services)
> - Access control on MAC, IP, or MAC-IP pairing
> - Administrative services (SSH) access control on MAC or MAC-IP pairing
> - VPN (IPSec, PPTP & SSL)
> - QoS
> - ICMP control
> - Managed logging
> - Expansion through custom chains*
>
> * Expansion through custom chains might help those often found
> scenarios that render your standard firewall inoperable. By creating
> say, a PREINPUT chain or POSTINPUT chain, another script can modify
> that chain for any function not covered by the standard firewall
> features.
>
> I've got the "Modular Firewall Product Certification Criteria version
> 4.1" from ICSAlabs, but I've not had any time to investigate it yet.
>
> Please remember, this discussion is intended to be about features, not
> implementation. I'll cross that bridge when I get there...
>
> Any suggestions & advice would be appreciated.
>
> Kind regards

May I suggest taking a look at ISCS (http://iscs.sourceforge.net) and
see if it gets you close to what you seek.  It's not a script but rather
a very flexible configurator that allows relatively easy management of
some of the complex features you cite - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation

Financially sustainable open source development
http://www.opensourcedevel.com