Re: "No chain/target/match by that name" when using -m state

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 06:05:21PM +0300, Ami Ganguli wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been searching around for the answer to this and I've finally
> given up trying to solve it on my own.  Any hints would be much
> appreciated.
>
> I'm entering the following command (cut and paste from the command line):
>
>      iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
>
> which appears in various docs.  It looks pretty straightforward, but I
> get this error:
>
>     iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
>
> If I enter the same command without  "-m state --state
> ESTABLISHED,RELATED" it's accepted, so I figure my problem is there
> somewhere.
>
> I thought that maybe my kernel (2.6.11.10, ARCH=xen) was compiled
> without connection tracking, but dmesg includes the following:
>
>     ip_tables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter core team
>     ip_conntrack version 2.1 (1024 buckets, 8192 max) - 244 bytes per conntrack
>
> also, if I enter "iptables -m state --help" I get the normal help with
> this at the end:
>
>      state v1.2.11 options:
>           [!] --state [INVALID|ESTABLISHED|NEW|RELATED|UNTRACKED][,...]
>                                 State(s) to match
>
> so I figure I must have the necessary bits installed.
>
> Any ideas or hints on what I should do next to debug this?

it sounds like your kernel doesn't have support for the state match,
which would be...rather odd.

i'd start by checking:

  cat /proc/net/ip_tables_matches
    (specifically:  grep state /proc/net/ip_tables_matches)
  cat /proc/net/ip_tables_names
  cat /proc/net/ip_tables_targets

and

  lsmod | grep ^ip
    (specifically:  look for ipt_state)

and

  grep _NF_ /path/to/running/kernel/config
    (specifically:  look for CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_STATE)

-j

--
"Dennis Miller: I don't want to go on a rant, here, but America's
 foreign policy makes about as much sense as Beowulf having sex