Re: iptables leaking blocked ip addresses.

hello.

reply below.

On 6/21/05, Jozsef Kadlecsik <kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, terry l. ridder wrote:

> > > Thou salt not filter in the nat table.
> >
> > there is no good reason not to filter in the nat table.
>
> Your firewall setup is a perfect example why one should not filter in the
> nat table.

my firewall has worked for many years just the way it is, never had any
problems with any leaks of any kind.

> Look at the packets which "leaked in": all of them TCP RST packets.

yes, they are all tcp rst packets.

> According to the TCP connection tracking, a RST packet which belongs to no
> known connection will be marked as INVALID. Because it's a NEW INVALID
> packet, connection tracking drops the conntrack reference immediately.
> Consequently, as having no conntrack reference attached to the packet, the
> nat table skips processing it. And because you intentionally not filter in
> the filter table, the packets "leak in".

there is not connection to track.

all packets from 200.0.0.0/8 with destination port 25 (smtp) are
dropped. the only addresses leaking in are the 200.0.0.0/8 with
destination port 25 (smtp). none of the other network address
blocks which are blocked are leaking.

if what you wrote above were true i should be seeing more tcp rst
packets from blocked network address blocks leaking in. i am not.
therefore, what you wrote above is not true.

> Thou salt not filter in the nat table.

will you please stop with the 'party line'.

--
terry l. ridder ><>