Unzustellbar: [SPAM] - Re: Why does this connection stop being tr acked? - Sending mail server found on relays.ordb.org (fwd)

--- Begin Message ---

 	[SNIP]

>> You have two choices: either disable TCP SACK support on all your
>> real/virtual machines behind your firewall, or upgrade the kernel on the
>> firewall.
>
> Do you have any instructions or a pointer to documentation onhow to
> temporarily disable SACK?  If it was a /proc setting that would be
> ideal; I don't really want to have to recompile kernels though.

why?  you are certainly missing out on how to fix and patch a systems when
bugs in the kernel affect it, to the ability to add features that your
dist maintainer has not enabled by default, or to change params in the
kernel such as moving away or to kernel modules as opposed to stack
functionality mapping.  Not to mention the abilities to streamline the
kernel to fit your requirements and remove all the xtra trash that gets
loaded in to make a kernel fit all purposes/needs/enduser-requirements.

basically, you are defeating one of the finer points in the linux realm <as
well as the BSD's net, open, free>  you are avoiding taking actually
control of what you are playing with <smile>.  Granted one does not do
this sort of thing in a prod env on the fly, one tests such things on a
dev server or desktop emulating what might be in prod. but, it's not all
that tough to master, and certainly will likely be required at one time or
another to get things working that were not originally provided, move to a
newer cleaner kernel, or even to fix problems encountered over the
stresses of time and all that.  The recipe for doing such is not all that
complex, and if one backsup the old kernel and properly runs lilo to
include it in the potential boot process, not all that damaging should on
finger-fart and make a bed new kernel on first draft. but all admins in
the free *nix-like realm should learn the particulars of rebuilding
kernels, it will  at one time or another save their asses.

No salt for the avoiders.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
- --
         admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                         http://sysinfo.com
Key fingerprint = 9401 4B13 B918 164C 647A  E838 B2DF AFCC 94B0 6629

...We waste time looking for the perfect lover
instead of creating the perfect love.

                 -Tom Robbins <Still Life With Woodpecker>

--- End Message ---