Re: netfilter logging

Jimmy wrote:
I have just started to log my iptables drops. As seen with this line in my
iptables-save output.

IMO a big mistake. Well, it's not so much a mistake as it is an important exercise to show you how much useless logging netfilter can produce. My firewalls now generally do very little logging, logging only for specific purposes.

-A INPUT -j LOG --log-level 1
-A INPUT -j LOG --log-prefix "Dropped: "

Ouch!!

What I would like to know is how I can get iptables to NOT log to console
only to the message logs. Currently it goes into /var/log/syslog

First, understand that this is more a syslogd question than a netfilter one. Second, understand what --log-level 1 is! Of course that logs to console:

Here is my syslog configuration. I cant see whats wrong with it.

(It's typical. You could have cut out the comments, BTW.)

# /etc/syslog.conf
[snip]
# Emergency level messages go to all users:
*.emerg                                                 *

 From iptables(8):
--log-level level
    Level of logging (numeric or see syslog.conf(5)).

The pointer is incorrect, at least for my Slackware: numeric levels are listed in syslog(2), not in syslog.conf(5). If you meant debug, I think that is "--log-level 8" (or just "--log-level debug").

Finally, and this IS your iptables issue: you have two LOG target lines, thus the aforementioned "ouch". You're logging first with --log-level 1 and again with the --log-prefix "Dropped: ".

Delete all those log files. Have fun. :)
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header