Port redirection

Hi all.

I've searched and searched and I cannot seem to get
this working.

I'm trying to redirect port 80 to a different port so
that I can run the Resin application server as
non-root user.  I've got the following command..

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -d
x.x.x.x -j REDIRECT --to-ports 8900

It comes up as

    0     0 REDIRECT   tcp  --  any    any
anywhere             www.mydomain.com   tcp dpt:http
redir ports 8900

Yet, if I connect to the http port it is closed.  Port
8900 is open and does accept connections if I specify
it in the address.

I am unclear of why the rules shows up in status, but
does not work.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

David