Re: conntrack related dropped packets or HTB issues on 2.6.11?

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 05:45:42AM +1000, Lewis Shobbrook wrote:
> I noted that despite long established and functional firewall rules allowing
> for inbound tcp dport 25, the packets were being dropped and logged.
> tcp IN:IN=ppp0 OUT= MAC= SRC=69.16.xxx.xxx DST=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx LEN=52 TOS=0x00
> PREC=0x00 TTL=49 ID=26228 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=38158 DPT=25 WINDOW=5840 RES=0x00
> ACK FIN URGP=0

maybe that was just a poor choice of log snippets, as that is a FIN/ACK
from the remote smtp client.  on a saturated link, it's completely
plausible that this packet would arrive outside of the close_wait
timeout; though the default is 60 secs, so unless you've changed this,
then maybe not...
(sysctl net.ipv4.netfilter.ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_close_wait)

anyway--dropping the FIN/ACK from the remote side won't affect
connectivity between the client and server, and the connection will be
timed out of conntrack after a minute or so.

> During the time these events were being logged I was still able to telnet to
> port 25 from a remote network to the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx interface, so clearly
> something bogus was going on.  Email was still coming in and out at a heavy
> but not ridiculous rate. Note also that only some connections to port 25 were
> logegd this way, the test telnet's to port 25 showed only in the mail log not
> at all on the firewall.
>
> I also noted that I was getting a huge increase in the number of "NEW" packets
> not marked as SYN which viewed as follows...
> NEW NOT SYN!: IN=ppp0 OUT= MAC= SRC=203.57.xxx.xxx DST=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx LEN=100
> TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=57 ID=42058 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=25 DPT=6699 WINDOW=58080
> RES=0x00 ACK PSH URGP=0

this is less encouraging...

> I deduced from this that it was posible the contrack tables were overrun and
> the connection state being lost.  I didn't have focus to
> cat /proc/net/ip_conntrack >> to save the output.... Oh well...

more importantly, to figure out of you're filling conntrack, compare:

  wc -l /proc/net/ip_conntrack

  sysctl net.ipv4.netfilter.ip_conntrack_max

-j

--
"Stewie: Met her on my CB / said her name was Mimi / Sounded like
 an angel'd come to earth (come to earth) / When I went to meet her / Man,