Re: LAN pass, but not loopback (SOLVED-thanks)

> > The problem is it doesn't : it contain, among other things
> > #Loopback interface
> > iptables -A INPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT
> > iptables -A OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT
> >
> > From the inside, wget http://my_server works as it should, from outside
> > also, but not from the computer himself !
> > For the same reason (i think) Samba cannot connect to CUPS... and I've
> > many other problems.
> > I've tried as I could to understand this problem but failed. On the other
> > hand, each time I suspected a bug in a complex software (iptables here), I
> > was wrong.
> > So, if one would have time to tell me were... mummy would be very happy as
> > she could print again -_^.
> What interface / IP do you have Apache, Samba, and CUPS listening on?  I am
> willing to bet that they are not listening on lo (127.0.0.1).  The reason
> that I ask is that I'm betting that your services are trying to talk to each
> other on your internal LAN interface (eth1). You might also want to try
> setting a filter:FORWARD policy of ACCEPT for testing to see if things start
> working again.
Those services were listenning on all interfaces (i've done that to ensure
that the problem wasn't here).... my mistake was even more stupid : I
forgetted to specify the interface on wich do SNAT.
Thanks a lot ! (my mother will be very happy to see that she can print again
^_^)

> > By the way, what do you think of the way I tried to reduce the overload
> > due to  TARPIT ? Would it work ?
> I like the way that you are using a subchain to do your possible TARPITing
> and jumping to that chain from all your other chains that you want to TARPIT
> the traffic from.  However I think you might want to emulate this
> functionality in the raw table so that you can send the traffic that you
> would want to send to the TARPIT target to the NOTRACK state to prevent the
> connection tracking subsystem form consuming resources tracking said
> traffic.  The basic idea behind this is laid out below:
> iptables -t raw -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -j NOTRACK
> iptables -t filter -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -j TARPIT
> iptables -t filter -A FORWARD -p tcp --dport 80 -j TARPIT
>
> This will cause any web traffic (Code Red, etc.) that would be destined to
> your firewall to be sent to the TARPIT target with out consuming any
> connection tracking resources as they are told to not be tracked via the
> NOTRACK target in the raw:PREROUTING table and chain.
Thanks again, I'll use your method to reduce the load of conntrack.

> Grant. . . .
Mmmh... I really should find a synonym for "thanks", or it will become
repeative. But I guess you get the idea -_^

Brice

--
"Emacs is my operating system, and Linux its device driver."
 -- Bake Timmons