Re: ICMP and conntrack

Le lundi 16 mai 2005 à 12:21 +0100, Clemente Aguiar a écrit :
> On a TCP or UDP protocol, if there are communication problems a ICMP

ICMP messages are genetrated to handle IP problems, regardless which
layer 4 protocol is used. TCP has its own mechanisms to handle layer 4
errors.
Exception mode of ICMP port unreachable for UDP...

> Does conntrack handle all ICMP "responses" correctly?

Yes they are, with RELATED state.

> Shouldn't these messages be handled by conntrack as "RELATED" or
> "ESTABLISHED" and be let through the firewall and therefore not be logged
> (i.e. dropped)?

They should. However, you may have a look at your conntrack table to see
if thoses packets do actually match existing entries.

--
http://sid.rstack.org/
PGP KeyID: 157E98EE FingerPrint: FA62226DA9E72FA8AECAA240008B480E157E98EE