RE: IPSec masquerade with multiple clients

I had the same problem - class C private net behind both a hardware
broadband router and a dedicated IPTables firewall. My employer uses a
Nortel Contivity VPN remote access solution, which does not have NAT
traversal enabled on the Contivity box.

With my previous router (Linksys BEFSR41), there's a tech bulletin on the
Linksys site that states it only supports a single VPN passthrough
connection. So, I upgraded to a newer model that supports more than one
(because both my wife and I both need to do VPN passthrough from our
respective at-home work laptops). I couldn't get multiple connections
working through the IPTables firewall, so I "solved" it by leaving my wife's
laptop connected through the IPTables firewall (and thence out via the
broadband router), and plugging my laptop directly into a spare jack on the
back of the broadband router.

Both laptops can now happily connect to the mothership Contivity VPN box,
and all is goodness. Not what I would have preferred (which would have been
both laptops connecting through the IPTables box), but I can live with it.

Other work users report that with various other broadband routers (SMC,
particularly) they can connect multiple concurrent VPN passthrough sessions
to the Contivity box, even with NAT traversal disabled - but they're just
wiring multiple computers directly into the back of the routers. Why I
couldn't get it to work through IPTables remains a mystery to me.

Your mileage may vary.