Re: When do iptables take effect when using iptables-restore

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 11:35 -0400, Joubert Berger wrote:
> Say I have 10,000 rules loaded.

God!

> I now want to update them, so I edit my file and then run
> iptables-restore to load the new rules.

Why wouldn't you deal with a shell script to do so?
With a shell script you would exactly know what rules are applied at a
moment.

> During all this iptables is applying policy on packets.  So, what
> happens between the time I start running iptables-restore and when it
> finishes it?

If you update your rules, one thing you will have to do is to flush,
anyway. If you dont, you'd append your updates to the existent rules. So
once you flushed, I think your "reore" file is read line by line and the
rules are applied as well as it is read.

But that's just my opinion. I habe no technical arguments, as you
see :-)

--
ASPO Infogérance       http://aspo.rktmb.org/activites/infogerance
Unofficial FAQ fcolc   http://faq.fcolc.eu.org/